Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Long Weekend, A Long Post

I love long weekends. This past weekend the weather was beautiful, Sean was home, the kids were able to swim, we did some serious landscaping, we ate good food...it was a great. I'm ready for summer!

The first splashes of the year... brrrrr








SOoooooooo... we did a little landscaping. Tree-huggers, I suggest you stop here. :)


The picture above kind of gives you a glimpse of the before - bushes, trees... I didn't think about getting a before picture until it was too late. Trees were falling left and right before I had a chance.


Here's a sequence of events. My dad would take the big bucket on the loader and push on the tree until you would hear a cracking sound and then, TIMBER, the tree would fall.



This kept Sean pretty busy. He was running all over. Once the tree fell, he'd have to saw off the roots, which were then carried away by the loader.




Then he would limb the tree so the log could be pushed in a pile. I have to say, Sean's looking pretty good. He's a man of many trades. Let's just gaze at this picture for a minute....OK, moving on...


The audience of 3. Ava wasn't really fond of the noise. She'd say, in her own way, "whoa!" Then she'd come hug my legs and want up. She took a 3 + hour nap though. I guess the sound wasn't so bad. It lulled her right to sleep.


This tree scared me a little. It was so close to the house and it wasn't budging and it was on a slight slope which made the loader almost tip. Yeah, it was scary and I went inside until it came down. I let Jonah man the fort.


I love him. Stella does too. :)


Once we got all the trees we wanted down, Stella and Jonah were able to check out the big monster of a machine and get a ride with their grandpa.


Shoving dirt to try and level things out.


The "finished" product.






The house from the road. The rope is to show where the driveway will be.




The wood that will keep us warm for winters to come.


Poor dandelion land. It has now turned into stump land. Stella cried. I told her not to worry because that's the funny thing about dandelions - they grow back whether you want them to or not ;)


And this is me, the happy wife, daughter and mom because now I can wear flip flops outside and not get bitten by a million red-head ants (there were tons of nests in the brush and among the trees). When winter comes I'll say, "bring on the wind." OK, maybe I won't say that, but I will be thankful when those windy nights do come and I don't have to stress about trees falling on top of us. Lastly, but not least-ly ;), the sun shines on our house now. I love it. Thanks dad and Sean for all your hard work. I'm a happy lady. Now...if we could just get rid of all the rocks....

20 comments:

Julie said...

Ok, I feel like I say the same thing every time, but WOW...your photos really are amazing! Did you get a new lens or something? Great job! And did Becky tell you....every time I see Lauren, it makes me think of Ava....they could be sisters. It's kinda crazy! :)

The McPoland Family said...

WOW!!!! What a great post...I love all the poic's, Jonah in the boat is too cute!!! The yard is amazing...I forget what it's like up there. It looks awesome, good job men. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Unknown said...

Sara,
Incredible! Wish we could have been around to see all the happenings. Everything looks great!

Jenny M. said...

Wow! And I thought we did some Major landscaping this weekend (20 plants in our yard) hahahahah...I'm going to show Brian what real gardening looks like!!! j/k. I guess thats city vs country livin'!

Looks great Sara!!

Tori said...

Sara - WOW girl! My favorite picture is of the 3 kids sitting on the porch! SO cute! Sean looked like a serious logger in all his carthart glory! Love you! -Tori

Kirra said...

Your house is SO cool! Man. Can I come for a weekend? It's like a bed and breakfast! I love all the trees (well and lack of trees now :)) The pictures of Ava are SO my favorite. Man she is getting so big!

Deanna said...

Wow! I was feeling quite proud of the yard work I did over the weekend until I read this! It looks great...that's so nice that you have sunshine on your house now. I'm sure the kiddos will love all the wide open space too. P.S.-I'm still loving my sign!

The Parsons' blog said...

Julie, you're sweet. No new lens, and I'm thinking you may be referring to the dandelion pictures??? others commented about those and, no people, I'm not a brilliant photographer. I get the idea for a picture, but then the lighting isn't right. Big shout out to photoshop for those ones. :) I blame the editing on my lens. If I had the fancy schmancy lens I want I wouldn't have needed to edit those...right?? RIGHT?? And, tell that girl Rebecca she needs to start a blog. I haven't seen a recent picture of Lauren in way too long!!!!!!!! Sometimes I see Samantha in Ava, only because Lauren was a ity baby when i saw her last. I miss them... :(

Kelli, I wish you lived next door. I need your landscaping help. You're SO good at it. Your yard is my dream. The house is for sale next to ours ;) You might have to plow it down and start from scratch though. It overwhelms me the work we have to do, but baby steps... :) Love you.

Happy Hollie said...

I love it Sara! What a great post. The pictures are incredible. You look great too! How exciting to get to do all the home improvements.
The kiddos are getting so big too. ENJOY the summer.

James, Reese, Lauren, Maddie said...

That is quite the weekend... looks great!!! Love all the pics... can't wait to see the finished product...kids are getting big!!!

Jamie said...

There is nothing better than a mans man and a wife who loves him. I hope to marry that kind of guy, one who's like my Dad. I love the pic of little Ava's legs in her bathing suit, too cute! And the one of you is so ADORABLE!! I am loving you with bangs, but you look good any style you have your hair.

The Guyser Family said...

What a project, it looks great! I will have to show Jaxon all the loader pics, that would be his dream to watch. They do have them on the beach every once in awhile pushing the sand around though. It will be very nice on those really windy nights to not have to worry about those trees. Love all the pics. You should enter some in the fair.

Amber Red said...

House for sale?? hmmmm..... Island life sounds so good. i think we were made for a small town ;) Things are looking good girl! So nice to have a handy man around the house and what guy would complain about using a tractor. i think that Collin is now going to be seriously upset we did not make it out there! And girl your pictures are amazing! Wish I had that talent for sure!

The Wilde Family said...

Seriously Sara your husband and dad did a great job & a big one at that! I love all the pics & you take such good ones. My fav's are the pic's of Ava in her cute little swimsuit and the one of you. You haven't age since highschool & your such a cutie :-)

Can't wait to see the pic's of the driveway, keep us updated (love all your post!)

Sandhya said...

Great job with the new driveway... what an exciting day for the kids. Entertainment by daddy and grandpa. Island life does look nice:)

Chris Kim Kinsley Cooper said...

Sara, your house and land is just beautiful. When I show Chris these pictures he is going to be jealous, because that is exactly what we hope to have sometime in our life! I love that you live right by water to hop into. It is truly beautiful Sara, and you my friend are beautiful as well!

Joe, Erin, Drew, and Drake said...

wow Sara! I love that post, the trees look amazing, even chopped down (: Sean is incredible!! You would think he was a country boy his whole life! I also love the pic of the kids watching, I wish I could have seen their faces. Red ants huh? I despise ants! When it rains here they try to creep in...not as bad as Santa Clarita though! Hey I finally updated and I am going to tonight again (:

The Loyas said...

Sara your pictures are really coming to life- LOVE them! And Phil said he's giving Sean a hard time about those logger man pictures. Something about Sean calling you a forest dweller in college or something???
Well I LOVE it- wish we had big beautiful trees in our backyard ;)

jorden9879 said...

Sara the house looks amazing!!! I love it. How nice to have sun shining on it! THere were tons of cute pics but that one of Ava and the sun glasses is soooo funny, cute funny

Kara Boyd said...

Sara, you do such a great job keeping your blog up-to-date. It's so fun to take a peek at what you and your family are up to. Take care!