Tuesday, September 23, 2008

That time of year...

I don't know if it is just a Washington thing, or because they tend to have sales on produce this time of year or what, but I do know around this time it is a fruit fly frenzy. They are everywhere and they are one of the most annoying bugs ever. They hover around and they're just plain gross. Well I happened upon a little fruit fly cocktail last year, thanks to my sister. It gets rid of the little pests because they are so attracted to the smell that they jump into the liquid and die. So this little post is for those of you who might need some help in the fruit fly department. Here's what you'll need:
Water
Cider vinegar
Liquid dish soap

In a small sauce bowl or cup add the three ingredients, you only need a few drops of the dish soap. Then sit back and watch as the little flies come and gather around the bowl. I mixed a new batch last night and when I checked it this morning there were 10 fruit flies floating at the bottom and the number continues to rise.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't thank you enough for this post!!!!!! We have been fighting those little annoying things for weeks now. we even resorted to moving our garbage can on the porch and are doing our best to leave no food out. Which is almost impossible with 3 kids as I'm sure you know. I am off to whip up a batch now!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks,for the tip I have tried it many times and it works like a charm. And yes they are the most annoying bugs in the summer, but it's Fall and hopefully they will be gone soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank for this tip! I need this. Do you have anything for house flys??

Anonymous said...

Okay could Stella be any cuter!! I love what she said in response to Seans question! She is SO funny! And YES I HATE fruit flies, I am going to try that tomorrow, I tried it last fall and it didn't work but maybe I used just plain vinegar and lots of soap, I will try your little batch and see what happens, I am SO glad you wrote about fruit flies, I am with you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara!

Your blog has been quiet for a while...I've been missing your posts! I think I speak for many of your faithful blog readers when I say: I'd sure like to see a photo update of how the beard growing contest is progressing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara- I was wondering if you could make me a sign for Mikey's room- I want it to say "Fenway Park" with a directional arrow. e-mail me @ kimberlyloya@gmail.com and we can discuss details-
thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,
Your mom and Allison told me about the cinnamon rolls on your blog sight this weekend. So I came in search of the recipe. I'm not very computer savvy, so I can't find the recipe on your blog anywhere. I hope that it's just that it's really not on here, and that I'm not really a computer retard. Let me know because I'd love to make them. Thanks.
Debbie
p.s. I sure enjoyed spending time with you this weekend, and I'll try to e-mail that group picture to you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara! I really miss your post and updates too. Hope your doing well.