Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Keeping it Simple

So I was planning on doing a post titled, Keeping it Real and then talk about how I really don't have it all together, as some people have voiced, or may think, I do. I was going to talk about how I wear sweat pants and sweatshirts 6 days out of the week and how on one particular Friday, the day I help out in Stella's class, Stella says to me before we left for school, "mom, make sure you look nice today." I was going to talk about the dust bunnies that collect under my bed and how they really aren't bunnies at all, they are more like dust dinosaurs, or monsters, they're big and they always try to take over the rest of the house too. I was going to mention how Ava has been really crabby lately, with the whole teething deal, and has been waking up early and how some mornings when I hear her crying I just want to yell "get out of your crib and get your own bottle already!" I was going to talk about my laundry room and what it looks like in its current state...

...but I really don't want to talk about such things. Those things scream for an intervention of sorts. I don't feel warm, fuzzy feelings when I talk about that stuff. Nah, I'd rather talk about Ava wearing a sweet outfit her dad put her in and maybe do a little play by play of her getting in to some gum for the first time. Yeah, that sounds fun. That sounds happy. I'm going to do that.

Hi, my name is Ava and I'm wearing polka-dot tights and a striped shirt. My dad chose this because he said he couldn't find any pants. But when my mom looked she found some. Funny how that works.

I found something. Yummm.... gum. Stella and Jonah are always eating this stuff.

Let me just lay down and check it out.

It smells so good I wish I could get it out already.

OH, I almost got it.

Aha! Now for a little taste.

I like it. Lets try it again.

Uh-Oh, busted. Mom's been watching me.

No more gum for me. I'm sad.

21 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

That is one of the funniest blogs I've ever read. I am laughing out loud. You are a blessed mom Mrs. Parsons! :)

Jenny M. said...

Me too, love the tales you tell. Makes me excited for more children...yeah, remind me I said that in a couple months, ok?

Livi found the gum a few months ago too. Not pretty...it was a piece she had unwrapped and buried away for finding later. Don't dogs do that?

Tori said...

That last picture is HILARIOuS SARA!!! I have to come visit you soon!!! Cause I miss you!

Amber Red said...

Sara I too am laughing hysterically!! Great post! if they have a writing contest at pioneer woman....submit this!

Amber Red said...

Boy oh boy i should show a few pictures of my house too sista!

Amber said...

Great post! It warms my heart to see your laundry room...my looks just like it :)

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh this is hilarious. Kids sure do love gum! Okay since you posted your laundry room picture - now I think I'll post my Office closet "before" picture since this month I'm cleaning my office. Too cute!!!

Kirra said...

ah man. i love you sara parsons!

Leo and Kim said...

I loved this post, too. I could totally relate to the super stylish outfit choice...Leo makes those all the time. :) I love that you are a real mom and your home is not always perfect because mine definitely is not.

The Guyser Family said...

cute post, i have seen a face similar to that last one a lot lately, when a certain someone doesn't get what he wants.

Rebecca Parsons said...

Oohh, sad Ava. Maybe next time trade the gum for a sucker :0). Nathan often can't find clothes either-and the drawers are full, gotta love them. Lauren has about 4 teeth coming in and it's given her fevers and coughs and she's just plain grumpy. Can very much relate to your post today- grumpy is down for a nap and I have a 4 foot pile of laundry next to me, (and I look wonderful) Hope your having a great day! Kind of a long comment-next time I'll e-mail :)
Love ya!

The McPoland Family said...

Oh how Alyssa and I are cracking up! That is too funny, you really need to get oyur own magazine going, you are such a good writer! BTW, Madison had her first piece of gum during my baptism, because my mom thought it would help her to be quiet, and it did! ;) She would not spit that gum out for an hour and a half, according to Alyssa.

Kristy said...

Oh how I relate to every single thing you just wrote! Right down to the dust monsters under the bed! (Gotta love wood floors, huh?)

Thanks for the lens recommendation by the way -- I'm always fighting with mine to get enough light without a flash and not end up with a blurry picture. Someday...sigh. That and Photo Shop. Sigh again.

Also, Ava's gum story reminds me of a story I read somewhere on PW (maybe the Humiliation Chronicles?) about gum wrappers. Did you read that one?

The Parsons' blog said...

Kristy, no I haven't read that of hers, nor did I know she had a 'Humiliation Chronicles' Looks like I got some reading to do :)

Cherie Baker Vann said...

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA I love how it took her like 20 snaps of the camera to relize you were watching her! Fabulous outfit too :) I remember my mom telling me the story that when I was about Ava's age some woman from her church came over, saw me trolling for mischief and asked her "can't you keep her contained?" HAHAHA

Kristin said...

I loved this post! The pictures of Ava are great...isn't funny how dad's always manage to find outfits like this? It was great reading about your everyday stuff also...we all go thru that!

Jamie said...

I always have so much laundry to catch up on. I loathe doing laundry! I always think, how will I do it when I have a family? I don't know how you and other Mother's do it all? Keep up the good work Sara!!

jorden9879 said...

Sara, I am laughing and crying at the same time. I only have one kid and I feel that way sometimes. That really was one of the best blog entry's I have ever read. You are great!

The Wilde Family said...

Number #1 I can so relate about dad's picking out the outfits. Good job dad's but... I have to get Ava's outfits ready for Ryan b/c who knows what he will pair together, lol!!
I loved reading this story and was waiting for the last pic to see how she would react when you took the gum away, not in a mean way but in a mom way. You feel bad when you have to take it away but you know that #2 they SO Can't Have GUM under the age of 2.
#3 Amen to sweatpants (which I call my "fatpants") and sweatshirts.

Great post,
Christina

emily said...

This post is hilarious! I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes pictures of my children's anguish! :)

Unknown said...

that so funny! and that is a pretty sweet outfit : )