skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Our latest project......to make something beautiful out of old barnyard boards.
Sean was mentioning to a friend how his wife (me) was asking (nagging, pleading) him to make a new dining table. His friend was kind enough to give us some old 2 X 8" boards he had laying in a pile on his property. I've always wanted a rustic table and when I first saw the boards I had no doubt my wish would come true. They were rustic indeed. So far we've sanded, jointed, tongue and grooved, and glued the boards together. We put it in the house this morning to get an idea what it would be like. Here comes the dilemma...do we keep it at 34" wide or do we add another board to make it 41"?? There are pros and cons to both. If we keep it skinny it will give us more room in our living/sitting area. However, if kept skinny then we lose table room and basically just our plates, cups and silverware fit on the table with maybe a salt and pepper shaker in between...well maybe more than that, but not much. If we make it wider then perhaps a turkey can fit on the table and then Thanksgiving will be at our house, because did I mention it's 9ft long?!?! Although a con to making it a wider table is more work for us (Sean). So, we're up for suggestions. All you table owners out there go and measure your table and tell us what you think we should do. The first two pictures are taken of how it is now, skinny. 
This picture is taken with a mock setting on the skinny table and an extra board on the right.
As far as dilemma's go, I guess this is a pretty good one to be in. I'm so excited for it to be done. Our new table legs come Tuesday. We'll have lot's of room now, so come gather at our table :) Oh, and another pro for the skinny table, it'll be good for playing cards.
7 comments:
OOOO.....I just don't know! The skinny is so adorable, but not super practical! Tough decision! The extra board makes the table look huge though...but that's kinda fun too...sorry, I'm not helping. I have no idea what you should do, but I am so excited to see the finished product! You guys are so talented and I love getting to watch your creativity in action! The table is going to be amazing!
P.S. What are you going to do with the old one?
I know this decision is killing me!! I honestly am so torn...big...little...big...argh! I'm thinking (and am suggesting to husband) that maybe a 2" piece of trim around the edges might be a good compromise?? Otherwise, big is probably best, I've had 7 people say go big or go home ;) It's just hard because my "living room" is tight, not a whole lot of room. Oh decisions, I'm so bad at making them.
Oh girl you got to go big! I do like the trim idea too though. My table is pretty big and I still feel it isn't enough room. But I hear you in the living room area. So I say big table and finished bonus room ;) One thing too is you can save $$ for smaller furniture :) We bought a leather couch a few years back when we had a smaller living space and it did wonders!
Sara, I like the big table too!
I had such a great weekend with Kim and Erin. So Happy Kim has a blog now. I will be posting some pics from the weekend soon. Love you.
P.s.Erin loved my sign
My vote...BIG! I think if you make it little to save floor space, you'll be sorry every time you have to scooch dishes around to make room. If you eat three meals a day year round, that's over 1,000 meals a year at that table--you don't want it crowded. Plus, since this will be your family table for a long long time, you have to plan for a few years from now when your kids are teenagers and they bring their friends home for dinner. And if it's wider, you can maybe squeeze two people next to each other at the ends when you have lots of people at once. Ok, there's my two cents. Either way, I know it will be gorgeous!
Go big Sara, I want one!!!
Sara! I say big too!! Oh, and your house looks sooo cute inside, I love it! I also love the pictures you have of your kids at the top of your blog, you are a good photographer!
Post a Comment